Steve Reeves is the father of bodybuilding. He was one of the last natural IFBB Pro bodybuilders and a true legend. Use this Steve Reeves max muscle building workout to naturally take your physique to the next level.
With this routine you will train each muscle group hard, heavy and with high levels of intensity once a week through compound movements. The 4-day routine performed on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. You rest on Wednesday and the weekend.
The key in this training routine is to constantly push for progress. Keep pushing yourself further in each set and each workout. To help you do this, apply the following three methods:
HEAVY WEIGHTS: This is what progressive overload is about, where you gradually increase the weight so that you’re lifting as heavy as you’re able to in a given rep range. You should struggle to complete the last couple of reps of a set.
HIGH VOLUME: Training with high volume means that you train a target muscle group with a higher volume of stimulation in a workout by doing more sets per exercise or more exercises.
INTENSITY AND FOCUS: Intensity and focus are key to seeing progress in your training. How do you maintain intensity and focus? Have a high level of motivation in your training. Keep your rest times short. Don’t just go through the motions but enjoy the process of overcoming resistance and challenges. Make every rep count.
MONDAY: CHEST AND TRICEPS
1. Barbell Bench Press 4 sets x 6-10 reps
2. Barbell Incline Bench Press 4 sets x 6-10 reps
3. Dumbbell Incline Bench Press 4 sets x 6-10 reps
4. Incline Dumbbell Flys 4 sets x 6-10 reps
5. Dumbbell Pullover 4 sets x 6-10 reps
6. Cable Triceps Extension 4 sets x 6-10 reps
7. Parallel Bar Triceps Dip 4 sets x -6-10 reps
8. Cable Rope Triceps Extension 4 sets x 6-10 reps
TUESDAY: BACK AND BICEPS
1. Pull Up 4 sets x failure
2. One Arm Dumbbell Row 4 sets x 6-10
3. Cable Seated Row 4 sets x 6-10 reps
4. Bent Over Barbell Row 4 sets x 6-10 reps
5. Cable Lat Pull Down 4 sets x 6-10 reps
6. Standing Barbell Biceps Curl 4 sets x 6-10 reps
7. Close Grip Preacher Curl 4 sets x 6-10 reps
8. Incline Dumbbell Curl 4 sets x 6-10 reps
9. Concentration Curl 4 sets x 6-10 reps
WEDNESDAY – REST DAY
THURSDAY: SHOULDERS AND FOREARMS
1. Standing Barbell Shoulder Press 4 sets x 6-10 reps
2. Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4 sets x 6-10 reps
3. Rear Delt Dumbbell Raises 4 sets x 10-12 reps
4. Dumbbell Lateral Raise 4 sets x 6-10 reps
5. Barbell Shrugs 4 sets x 6-10 reps
6. Cable Face Pulls 4 sets x 10-12 reps
7. Standing Wrist Curl 4 sets x 6-10 reps
8. Barbell Wrist Curl 4 sets x 6-10 reps
1. Barbell Squat 6 sets x 6-10 reps
2. Leg Extension 4 sets x 6-10 reps
3. Leg Curl 4 sets x 6-10 reps
4. Standing Calf Raise 4 sets x 6-10 reps
5. Seated calf Raise 4 sets x 6-10 reps
Diet: It’s crucial to eat high nutrient and high calorie diet with sufficient amounts of protein, essential fats and complex carbs to fuel your muscle building training.
Sleep: Get sufficient amounts of sleep. If you don’t get enough sleep, your body will have a hard time recovering from the physical stress of high this training setup.